The Car Finance Company (2007) Ltd, and its related companies (collectively, TCFC) recognise the importance of protecting the personal information collected from Users in the operation of this website, and take reasonable steps to maintain the security, integrity and privacy of any personal information in accordance with this Privacy and Data Protection Policy. By submitting your information to TCFC you consent to the practices set out below.
1. When you apply to us to open an account, this organisation will check the following records about you and others (see 2 below) (a) our own; (b) those at credit reference agencies (CRAs). When CRAs receive a search from us they will place a search footprint on your credit file that may be seen by other lenders. They supply to us both public (including the electoral register) and shared credit and fraud prevention information. (c) those at fraud prevention agencies (FPAs). We will make checks such as; assessing this application for credit and verifying identities to prevent and detect crime and money laundering. We may also make periodic searches at CRAs and FPAs to manage your account with us.
2. If you are making a joint application or tell us that you have a spouse or financial associate, we will link your records together so you must be sure that you have their agreement to disclose information about them. CRAs also link your records together and these links will remain on your and their files until such time as you or your partner successfully files for a disassociation with the CRAs to break that link.
3. Information on applications will be sent to CRAs and will be recorded by them. Where you borrow from us, we will give details of your accounts and how you manage it/them to CRAs. If you borrow and do not repay in full and on time, CRAs will record the outstanding debt. This information may be supplied to other organisations by CRAs and FPAs to perform similar checks and to trace your whereabouts and recover debts that you owe. Records remain on file for 6 years after they are closed, whether settled by you or defaulted.
4. If you give us false or inaccurate information and we suspect or identify fraud we will record this and may also pass this information to FPAs and other organisations involved in crime and fraud prevention.
5. If you have borrowed from us and do not make payments that you owe us, we will trace your whereabouts and recover debts.
6. Your data may also be used for other purposes for which you give your specific permission or, in very limited circumstances, when required by law or where permitted under the terms of the Data Protection Act 1998.
7. We will obtain information about you from credit reference and fraud prevention agencies to help make decisions about you and we will record information about you with them. It is important that you read the ‘Use of your Information’ notice contained within the Terms and Conditions of your agreement before you sign. You have the right to know how we will use your Personal Information.
8. Where we act as broker and do not fulfil your application for finance ourselves, we will pass on information about you and/or your application to the chosen finance provider(s) to consider and deal with the application. We may also anonymise your information and share this information with our chosen finance provider(s) in order to assist with the development of their underwriting systems (individuals are not specifically identified).
9. We also reserve the right, should it be necessary, to disclose any relevant information to any prospective purchaser of The Car Finance Company.
10. We may pass information about you and/or your application to any other company within our corporate group or to any company, business or intermediary associated with us for any purpose connected with their business. We or those identified above, may contact you, by post, email or telephone (unless your phone number is registered with the Telephone Preference Service), to tell you about other products and services which may be of interest to you. You have a right at any time to ask us to stop contacting you or passing your details to others for these purposes. You may write to us at The Finance Centre, 47-51 Kingston Crescent, Portsmouth. P02 8AA if you wish us to stop.
12. Links may be provided from this website to other third party websites. In using such links, Users should be aware that each third party website will vary in terms of it’s privacy and data protection policies, and TCFC does not take responsibility for the privacy policies of, and usage of, personal information collected by others including, without limitation, those of any partner or affiliate.
How to find out more
This is a condensed version and if you would like to read the full details of how your data may be used please call us on 02392 448500 or write to The Car Finance Company Ltd, 47-51 Kingston Crescent, Portsmouth, PO2 8AA.
You can contact the CRAs currently operating in the UK; the information they hold may not be the same so it is worth contacting them all. They will charge you a small statutory fee.
CallCredit, Consumer Services Team, PO Box 491, Leeds, LS3 1WZ or call 0870 0601414 Equifax PLC, Credit File Advice Centre, PO Box 3001, Bradford, BD1 5US or call 0870 010 0583 or log on to www.myequifax.co.uk Experian, Consumer Help Service, PO Box 8000, Nottingham NG80 7WF or call 0844